Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Frozen Farriers

I stopped at the QT yesterday and picked up some drinks for the guys. I always bring them something to drink, so we can gossip when they're done trimming. Yesterday I got both hot chocolate and sodas. They came early, which they almost never do, so I was still sitting in the truck contemplating just how damn cold it was, and procrastinating catching the prisoners. I hopped out and got some hay to throw out. The greedy guts never learn that being lured with some tasty alfalfa means they are gonna get caught...thank whomever.

While they were scarfing down the hay, the guys were swilling down their hot chocolate. They really looked cold. Their faces were all red, and their fingers too. Craig's gloves had holes in them. The wind was terrible, so I can imagine how cold his hands were. Brrrr. I got their presents out of the truck, and they just lit up. I have not seen such excitement in a long time. Craig declared that now he would be able to make it through the day with his sister in law present. I kind of got the impression that he doesn't like her much ;) John was pretty excited too. Now if you want to see indignation, all bright and shiny, just ask a 21 year old young man if that kind of gift is gonna piss his momma off. Dear lord, you'd have thought I asked him if his diaper needed changing! Whew! He quickly informed me that he did NOT live with his momma, and even if he did, he was old enough! Well alrighty then :-) I told him that I just didn't want to cause any trouble, and he got untwisted. I think he thought I was making fun of him. I wouldn't do that...who would trim Prisoner X then?

Everyone got trimmed, and I shooed the guys off. It was too cold to stand around and gossip like we usually do. I fed the prisoners their dinner, soaked with hot water, and they were happy. Next trim is scheduled for Feb 3rd. Hopefully it won't be snowing/raining/or blowing 100 mph.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I too, try to bring a snack and either something cold or hot (depending on the weather) for my farrier. He is prompt, careful with my horses, kind and efficient. I value him so he gets a tip every time he does them and he get food and drink. Gotta take good care of those who do things for you that you can't or won't do!

Camille said...

I always add $10 to the bill, and bring them something to drink. They aren't there long enough to snack :) I think they like to gossip more than most women I know! Hee!