Monday, September 22, 2008

Passion redux


I wasn't sure that the non hardy passion flower would bloom this year. It had been somewhat neglected since mom passed away. We were careful to water it, and put it on the east side of the shop so it would get gentle sun. About two weeks ago, it sprouted a tiny bud. I was very excited. I have been watching it carefully since them. Today it bloomed! It went from barely showing color to fully opened within 2 hours. Simply amazing. The flowers only last a single day, so you have to be quick if you want a picture. What a beautiful and strange flower. Here is a progression from bud to flower. I think this will be the only flower for this plant this year. I can't find any other buds. Maybe next year it will be more generous.



Here is the other type. The differences are striking.

And here they are together. Similar, yet beautifully different.

4 comments:

Holly said...

how beautiful!

is it not totally amazing how different they look as buds or partially open flowers from the fully opened variety?

Camille said...

Every year, this particular flower amazes me. It's one of the strangest flowers I have ever seen. I can't believe they only last one day :( They look like weeds growing up on the fence. I wonder how many people snatch them out of a garden before they have a chance to bloom?

I am going to look for more varities :)

Paige said...

How bizarre that is, and your pics are GREAT!

Camille said...

I think they are from outer space. I need to get a pic of the fairy orchid. It sneaked in a bloom and my camera is at the office.

Thanks :) I can't wait to get a new camera. I love this one, and it takes pretty ok pics, but I have worn it out. It's about mmm 10 years or so old.