Wednesday, September 17, 2008

For the record.

My horses are not pets. They are livestock. Property. Chattels. They are no better than any other farm animal. I can legally sell them, or humanely shoot them in the head. Pets are animals that live in my house, and are able to sit in my lap. Horses are not pets. They are not adopted children, nor are they national treasures. They are big dangerous animals. They can kill you by accident with the flick of a hoof. I love my horses, but they are not pets. I believe that we should have the option of slaughter for horses that are not useful. I do not believe that anyone should be able to tell me what I can do with my property. All of the people out there who believe that horses are just big fuzzy children should be required to own at least one of the horses that have been abandoned, starved, or abused.

There are animal "rights" organizations that are working dilligently to strip us of our rights to own horses (or any other animal for that matter). If they get their way, horses will be deemed pets. Closing down the slaughterhouses was only the tip of the iceberg.

Horses are livestock. Just sayin'.

3 comments:

Paige said...

Hear hear!

Holly said...

I know lots of folks are saying that breeders need to stop breeding. Problem is, they won't. Go read .any. message board and there will be posts about what stallion to pick for next year.

I agree that the best way to shut people up is to hand them the lead rope of a horse with a chronic condition or temperament issue. The more strident the opposer, the worse issue they get. Let them find out how much it costs to keep one permanently lame, un-useable horse for a few years.

Camille said...

I don't think that all breeders need to stop. I think that people who breed without a purpose should probably stop. I also think that people who breed 100 mares every year should cut way back. I think they will with the market the way it is.

My main bitch is some touchy feely soccer mom who has never smelled a horse telling me how noble they are and all that other bullshit. Hell they don't let their kids have dogs because they might mess up the white carpet. Give me a break. Mind your own business. Stick with what you know...gucci and redecorating, and making sure your spawn gets into the best pre-school. Just keep your nose out of my pasture.