Thursday, March 20, 2008

My knees... they hurt....

Here are some pictures of the leaf patio. This is the middle step of the process. We washed and scrubbed the patio to remove the extra release. It will dry the rest of the day, and tomorrow, we will go back and tint leaves... Oh dear! There are a *lot* of leaves here.

These pictures are before we washed it. It is still completely covered with release, so you can't see the actual color which is a nice cream.


This picture is particularly interesting. It came out of my camera "upside down". It is an optical illusion that makes the leaves seem to stand off the concrete instead of going down into it. If you flip it upside down, then they look impressed instead of raised. It is a bit easier to see in the larger version. If you would like to see the original size, I will be happy to email it. I have some pictures of the concrete on the back patio at the Cowboy Hall of fame. There are horseshoe and cowboy boot tracks, and those pictures do the same thing. It makes me think I have lost my mind. Ok, we all know that my mind is lost. If you find it, would you bring it back? Thank you.

As I am going through the pictures I took this morning, I found more "upside down" examples. The imprint with this pattern is very delicate and doesn't have a lot of depth. The tiny shadows made by the angles of the sun cause this illusion. The leaves really are stamped down into the concrete, and not raised. For someone who has vertigo, this can be disturbing. It makes my eyes hurt. I can change the focus of my eyes and make it go up or down. Ah well, hopefully my mind will find it's way home, and straighten my eyes out.

Here are some examples of the patio after it has been washed and scrubbed.

We always sign our work :-) I usually leave at least one footprint where I stepped off the tools. I managed not to on this job. :-P Tomorrow, I will post pictures of the finished project. It should be pretty neat! Of course, my knees will demand a day off. I guess it's a good thing the weekend is coming...except I am out of hay... My knees will not be happy.

4 comments:

Holly said...

gorgeous gorgeous work. I told you that you had your fair share of the creative gene.

Good Job!

Camille said...

:-) Thanks! This is the first time we have used these tools on a job. I think next time we will not put quite so many leaves down. I kind of overdid it. Practice makes perfect!

Paige said...

It really looks neat, I love it.

BS just said last nite he wished you were close by as he wants to put you to work on some projects around here and for the new fancy remodel/design/contruction division of Ecodigital that he has been helping out with in his down time.

I told him I bet you could be had for a healthy fee!

Camille said...

Neither of us are big travelers. Working away from home is not always easy. You either have to drive your trucks and pray you didn't forget anything, or fly and have stuff shipped. It can be a huge pain in the ass, especially if you run out of something like color.

We had an opportunity to go to Alaska for a job. They were going to put us up in their lodge, and feed us gourmet meals every day. It didn't work out, but that was one job I would have gladly traveled for.

If they decide to do stampwork, tell him to look for either a patterned concrete, or bomanite contractor. They are trained to do this, as opposed to the guys who buy the tools and try.. always disappointing.