Friday, March 7, 2008

Horses and Doggers and Birds...Oh my! Baxter

Darling boy! He is a few days old here. He is 3 months old in the second picture. The third picture is a few days after we brought him home at just over 4 months. The fourth is a yearling pic. He is 18 months in the fifth, and around 2 in the sixth. The last two were taken in January.




Everyone will probably get sick of seeing pictures of Baxter, but well... too bad :-) He is the first baby horse I have ever owned. I got him from my friend Joleen. She breeds mostly foundation QH's now, but she did breed paints for a while, and appy's before that. She is one of the smartest people I know, and a true Horse Girl. She has done a lot for me, and I am lucky to have her as a friend. Baxter's full name is Imagine Baxter Black. I love Baxter Black. He makes me laugh so hard with his hilarious tales. When I first saw my Baxter and saw that cute mustache, the name that came to me was Baxter Black. Imagine is for his daddy FPF Imagine That, or Roy for short. Roy was a maximum splash white overo. That is probably the rarest paint coloration. Every foal he sired was a splash. His mother is Drift Into Overdrive. She is an appendix QH, and is a very nice mare.

This guy gives Dennis the Menace a run for his money. He is into everything. My hubby built me a little run in shed out of a portable car port. It is a great little barn for them, with plenty of room for two. One of Baxter's favorite pastimes is to take a rubber feeder and bang it against the barn. It looks like the field mice have been having drag races all over the walls. Black marks everywhere! When he isn't banging the walls, he is banging himself in the head! It must feel good, he keeps doing it. Some days his face is covered with black marks from waving the feeder around. He has had to be more creative since I took his barrels away. He spends lots of time throwing the feeder around. Sometimes he drops it on the double strand electric fence, causing it to short out... smart boy! He also loves his jolly ball. He has totally destroyed two, and is on his third now. I have found them as far as 20 feet outside his paddock. The most entertaining thing so far has been the feeder on the peak of the barn. I can only imagine what he was thinking... "Let's see that lazy waitress get this down"! Here are some pics. The barrel when it was new, and three weeks later. And of course the feeder on the barn. He is running away because he knows he "dood it and he's gonna get a whuppin' ". It is a little hard to see, but look on top of the barn. That's *my* boy!


Next time I will tell you about The Nanny.

Camille

No comments: