Tuesday, August 5, 2008

At last...

After many stumbles, and a ton of work, my mother's house is finally on the market. I met the realtor last Thursday, and handed over a key. He was excited about the remodel, and sounded very optimistic about getting it sold. He showed me the sign he was going to put in the yard. Said it was his good luck sign, and "see, it already has a sold sign on it!". I told him I would be pleased if it was sold by Christmas. He said that he would not, because that would really ruin his average, and that the sign he was using had never been in someone's yard for longer than 45 days. Hope springs eternal, again.

I went over a few minutes early, because I had not signed all of the papers, and needed a few minutes to do that. I was flipping through them and signing on the lines when I heard a buzzing by my head. I figured it was a wasp, and ignored it, knowing if I swatted it that it would pay me back violently. I went on... and heard it again. Again I ignored it. The third time it came back I looked around, and there hovering at eye level was a ruby throated hummingbird. I was surprised to see it there, and spoke to it. It hovered precisely at my eye level, and stayed for a long time. When I stopped talking, it actually nodded it's head, and flew off.

Now I am not superstitious, or a great believer in psychic mumbo jumbo, or life after death visitations, but this *was* my mother's very first favorite animal. She devoted much of her garden space to plants that would attract them, and had hummingbird stuff all over her house. I don't know if it was my mother or not. I do know that every time I have been ready to sign the sales papers some new disaster reared up. First, the phone stopped working, then the alarm didn't function, and lastly, the garage door would not work. Every time I got something fixed, another thing would go wrong. It was like she was trying to stop us from selling the house. This time, I felt like I had Mom's seal of approval. I am grateful for that.

3 comments:

Paige said...

What a nice story and a beautiful picture

I think you have your mom's seal of approval

Good luck!

Camille said...

I confess that is not my picture. I didn't have my camera with me when the hummer showed up.

I think mom approved :)

Anonymous said...

Well, you know me & know that I do believe in that "mumbo jumbo" stuff. I think you hit the nail on the head with that special visitor - it may not have been her but I believe she was the one that sent the messenger.

How very awesome, I can only imagine the pic you would've captured had your camera been with you.