Saturday, January 3, 2009

Harumph!

Ok people tell me honestly, does Prisoner Y look like a draft horse to you??? I will be the first to admit that he isn't exactly a delicate little hothouse orchid, but ...a *drafter*? No, seriously? He has pretty good bone, but nothing I wouldn't expect in a horse his size. Maybe I am just the most barn blind person on earth, but I don't see a trace of coarseness in him. Granted, his neck could be prettier, but still. To me, he doesn't look anything like a draft. Perhaps the color reminds people of a Clydesdale eh?

Today the hay guy came and brought my round bales. When he pulled up he asked who the pretty black horse belonged to. I told him he was mine. The very next question out of his mouth was - "Is he paint or mixed...like part draft?". Poor Baby Huey! Even though he is deaf as a post, I could tell that he was wounded by the question. He actually stopped scarfing down his alfalfa for a chew or two. HUH??? MOM! He's callin' me names! Of course there is no way for the hay guy to know my personal philosophy on riding an animal that has been bred for centuries to pull a wagon. Personally, I don't see the point. I have no heartburn with other people who ride them, but they are bred to pull, not carry, and I think it isn't good for them, so I don't ride one. I think they are way cool horses, and if I ever have a beer wagon, i will get some drafts to pull it :)

I think that the hay guy figured out that I was not amused when I told him that Baxter was insulted. He backpedaled then, saying he had meant warmblood (which in our barn were always referred to as Dumbbloods for good reason). I guess that most people who ride foxtrotters and arabians aren't used to bigger horses, so it's reasonable that they are all drafts, right?

I told him that actually, Bax is mostly QH, with some TB thrown in. Then I told him that he is three and one half. He said, he will get bigger huh? I said unfortunately, that is so. He changed the subject :) Anyway, lets compare....


I am sorry, but I honestly don't see it. Maybe I am barn blind...

6 comments:

Holly said...

it is not entirely out of the question that you are barn blind. Didn't you say once that you knew you were going to have to own him the first time you saw him?

but draft-y? No. Just no.

Paige said...

Nah, does not look a thing like a draft.

My very first high dollar baby earned me the question--is he a standardbred? I almost passed out

Lazy A Ranch said...

Bax man is BEAUTIFUL and he looks more TB than anything. Hmmm I guess hay man hasn't been around many TALL horses.

Camille said...

LOL I may be barn blind. I try not to be, but hey I am human :)

Camille said...

Oh dear, did you smack them upside the head with a pitchfork? A standardbred??? fo shizzle

Camille said...

Thanks. I think he is pretty :)

I think the hay guy likes arabs and fox trotters. I don't think they get as tall as Baby Huey!