Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Fat Boy has a Sofa Back!

I am just pretty excited and pleased with my boy!


When I first got there today to feed, he was playing hide and seek. They were both up by the building next door eating grass. When they saw me they started for the gate. Susie kept coming, but Baxman went around to the other side of the hill and proceeded to "hide". This monster 16.2 hand 1500 pound horse actually stopped by a tree, and then sidled around until his head was hidden. Then he peeked out to see if I was looking at him. I about fell down laughing.

After I convinced him that he really wasn't hidden, I went up to the feeders and put out the slop. They ate, and I went to get them some hay. After that, I got my camera and took some more pictures. Susie is looking very good if I do say so myself. She is 25, and has some issues with her teeth, and is picky eater, so keeping her in good weight is a chore. I am pleased with her. The vet said she is perfect. He did not say the same thing about Fat Boy. *sigh* Here is Susie. She is almost black right now. She has dapples that don't show up very well here, but they're there. She is my sweetheart!

So after they ate, Fatboy, er, Baxter came over and wanted a scrub. He would turn is big fat self inside out to get a good scratch, and he drools whenever the rake makes an appearance. No rake today, but I thought I'd scratch him a bit anyway. While I was scrubbing on his belly, I thought it would be fun to see what he did if I got up on the old water tank and stood over him. Once he figured out that he would not get scratched unless he was standing next to it, he stood there and would not move. I got up on it and scratched him. He closed his eyes and heaved what can only be a sigh of ecstasy. So I reached over his back to scratch his opposite shoulder. He flicked an ear and "listened". I kept scratching and he went back to sleep. So, I put both hands on his back and put a lot of my weight on them. He listened again, and thought about leaving, but the lure of sharp fingernails digging into his fat pads won over and he went back to sleep. I scratched for a few more minutes. Then, I leaned over his back and scratched his girth area. Dear Lord. He kept sleeping. Then I put one leg up on his back. Nothing. Not even a flick. I have always had issues with slab sided horses. They don't take up enough of my leg (I have long legs for my size). I do not need to worry about that with this boy. Looking down on his back from above reminds me of a Lazy Boy lounge chair. If I could get him to stand still, I could sleep up there.

I believe that as long as he is being scratched, you could probably put him in a pot of boiling oil and he would sleep through it. Maybe... just *maybe* starting him will be a non issue. Joleen has always thought it would be, but she has not seen some of his shenanigans, so I had my doubts. After today, I am beginning to believe her. Man I hope so. I would be very happy if that were the case. I really need some good things to happen....

1 comment:

Holly said...

ya know, you .really. need to write more often.

really.

and I told you before,he was going to be a gem to start. I'd help if I was closer.