Monday, March 22, 2010

RIP Blondie - Queen of the World March 2010








A bright light went out for us on Friday, March 19th. Our precious baby girl bulldog was humanely euthanized due to some very bad circumstances.

No one could ever have asked for a more loyal, funny, sweet companion. She was always good natured and happy.

All my dogs have touched my life in some way that made them special, but this little dog was my baby from the day she came running up to us in the park, skinny, covered with ticks, and an eye so crusty we were afraid we would have to have it removed. She never complained about any of the uncomfortable things she had to endure. She always came running with her ears flattened, a smile on her big wide face.

What happened to her was a sin. I have always believed that we owe our animal friends a dignified end. It is up to us to make that hard decision to end their suffering. It is the hardest thing we have to do for them, but we owe it to them. They cannot tell us with words when they are too tired, in too much pain, and need to rest. It is selfish to make them suffer simply because we lack the courage to make the tough decision. I have always erred on the side of dignity for my friends. I would rather let them go a day too soon than a day too late.

This time, I depended on a veterinarian who was ego driven, and apparently believed that she could cure the world. My poor little girl. She had to suffer because the vet I trusted either didn't care, or was too busy, or just made a poor decision. In the end, she was released from suffering, but not soon enough. It hurts my heart to know her end was not dignified, but painful.

We gave her the best life we could. She was a good dog. She deserved better from the professionals whose job it is to heal and ease suffering.

Rest in Peace my pretty girl. I shall miss you greatly.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so sorry Camille. My heart aches for you. Your little dog filled a big spot in your life and she had a wonderful life with you.

Camille said...

Thanks Holly. It is really hard. I miss her so much, even the snoring and farting :) She was a very special girl. I am still just livid at the vet.